2007-11-13

I Have Prostate Cancer

The odds of a man in a lifetime getting prostate cancer are about one in six. The incidence increases with age, and if you live long enough it is usually a matter of when not if you get prostate cancer if you are a man. I guess I have lived too long because I now have prostate cancer. I have had a radical prostectomy and will have follow up radiation treatment shortly which I am not looking forward to.

I am at a loss in the light of the fact this is the most common cancer in men and being so prevelent that the Ontario government does not pay for the screening test for this deadly disease. I guess men should be the strong silent type and shut up about this sensitive subject and die like a man. Men are about as likely to contract and die of prostate cancer as women are to contract and die of breast cancer. The irony of my situation seems to be that the is Breast Cancer month and I am bombarded with advertisements of pink products being sold, all a portion of sales going to breast cancer research. What about me, where is my "run for the cure"?

No comments: