2009-02-28

my first attempts with my food dehydrator

I bought a Mr. Coffee "The Food Dehydrator" model FD5 awhile back for about 7$ at the Goodwill and tried it out a few weeks ago. The motor was seized so I took it apart and cleaned and lubricated. It was a fairly simple job to do this. It is a clean machine that looks almost unused. I tried it out on some celery leaves and it worked great.

This week I ran into some tomatoes on the reduced rack, 99 cents for about 2 kilos, and lots of peppers so I decided to take the plunge. It took a couple of days of drying but I ended up with a very small bag of dried green peppers which were about 25 cents each, and about 80 grams of dried tomatoes.

I have now to find recipes for sun dried tomatoes.

I use a mandolin slicer and it would be next to impossible to get the consistent slices of tomatoes without this device. It takes no time at all to slice a tomato into almost perfect slices.

I think I will try this again if I run across surplus veggies, the time involved is not that great, other than the waiting, and the stored veggies should last awhile in storage.

No comments: